This project uses two balls of their extra chunky corespun yarn. You will also need some wooden beads and a 10” metal hoop to hold the shape of the wreath.
I played around with some daisy chain variations until I found the perfect way to knot these flowers into a circle.
You can learn more about macrame and weaving by heading to my blog! I have dozens of classes about how to weave from beginner to advance.
Tutorial for the Wreath
Cut 8 x 100cm Ecru string Cut 4 x 100cm Teal string
Place the Teal strings in the middle of your loop using the Lark’s Head Knot. Place 4 Ecru strings on either side using the Lark’s Head Knot.
Cut 16 x 70cm Teal string Cut 8 x 70cm Ecru string
Place 4 Teal strings on either side using the Lark’s Head Knot. PIC1 Place 4 Ecru strings on either side using the Lark’s Head Knot. Place 4 Teal strings on either side using the Lark’s Head Knot.
1. Start with a set of 8 strings in the same colour
2. Make a Square knot with the 4 strings in the middle PIC2
3. Take string 2 as a guide and make a diagonal Double Half Hitch knots using string 3 and 4
4. Repeat the opposite side.PIC3
5. Take string 1 as a guide and make a diagonal Double Half Hitch knots using string 2, 3 and 4
6. Repeat the opposite side. PIC4
7. Take the 4 strings in the middle a make a Picot Knot (NOTE: To make a PIcto Knot make a square knot about 1-2cm below your Double Half Hitches PIC 5 and then by holding the two strings in the middle slide your Square Knot up PIC6)
8. Repeat Steps 1-7 with all the sets of strings.
9. Add an extra Square knot under the Picot Knot in the 3 middle sets of strings
10. Trim the strings on the other sets at about 3-5cm
Tutorial for the flower:
1. Take one of the teal strings and folded in half
2. Place another piece of string in the fold and fix it on a flat surface with masking tape PIC7
3. Take another teal string, folded it in half and tie a vertical Double Half Hitch knot on the first strand of the string fix on your flat surface PIC8
4. Tie a vertical Double Half Hitch knot on the second strand of the string fix on your flat surface PIC9
5. Repeat steps 3-4 with all the other teal strings PIC10
6. Starting from the left take the first string as a guide and tie the other 4 strings with Double Half Hitch knots PIC11
7. Starting from the left take the first string as a guide and tie string 2 with a Double Half Hitch knots PIC12
8. Take your guide and string 2 and together they become your new guide. Take string 3 and tie a Double Half Hitch knots.
9. Repeat step 8 with string 4 and string 5 each time adding one string to the guides. PIC13
10. Repeat step 7-9 on the right side PIC14
11. Make 5 petals.
12. To make the filaments make a simple overhand knot on each end and fold them in half. PIC15
13. Place the 5 petals together with the filaments in the middle. PIC16
14. Take a piece of teal string and wrap it below the petals and make a tight knot PIC17
15. Position your flower on the wreath and take 2-4 strands from the flower to make a knot around the wreath. PIC18